"ItFixed" it for me! - ntoskrnl.exe Error

Here is another article under my "ItFixed" it for Me series.
I had a user with a laptop come to me this morning complaining that her laptop would not start with the following error

Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Winnt_root\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.


Upon research I found a MS Article that references this error. In the article were several options to resolve the issue. After trying each one the last option was the one that worked for me

Start the computer by using the Recovery Console, and then run the "CHKDSK /r" command.


To start the Recovery Console boot off of the XP installation CD then wait for the option to "Press R for Recovery Console". Once in the console (note: you will need the administrator password for the machine) you can type the above command at the prompt. It took several hours to run on a 40GB drive so your time may vary.

This may not be the only way to deal with this error but "ItFixed" It for me!.

Labels: , ,